In Your Teen’s and 20’s
Stick to the Essentials
This is the age where you are most likely to feel invincible with a guiding spirit to experiment and try new things. The increasing dominance of social media and the unrealistic goals and expectations to look a certain way, add to these pressures. Resist the temptation to try every new product that hits the market and do your research first.
Although you want to remove and cleanse away dead skin cells, avoid overdoing it with harsh scrubs, acids, harsh toners and experimenting too much with different makeup. This strips away the top layer of your skin and can lead to long term issues with your skin. At this age range, you skin cells regenerate quickly and you may not notice until many years later the damage you may be causing your skin through harsh ingredients. Taking good care of your skin now will help prevent issues down the line.
See our daily anti-aging skincare routine for a detailed guide on your day and night time skincare routine.
Dermatologists recommend following these key anti-aging skincare tips in your teen’s and 20’s:
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful rays and if you are going to do only one thing, use sunscreen! Consider a moisturizer that incorporates a mineral based sunscreen (SPF 30 or over). Whether you get a tan from the sun, tanning bed or any other form of tanning equipment. All of these emit harmful UV rays that accelerate the speed at which your skin ages and each and every time you get a tan this way, you are aging your skin prematurely. Consider using self-tanning products.
- Wash your skin twice a day and after exercising and sweating heavily. Avoid the temptation to wash often and limit yourself to washing your face once in the morning and once at night. Wash your face and skin as soon as possible after sweating as sweat irritates the skin.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking is a major factor in premature skin aging and results in wrinkles and dullness of the skin.
- Minimize/manage your alcohol intake. Alcohol dehydrates and damages the skin over time.
- Treating breakouts/Acne. After washing your face, gently tap dry with reusable pads rather than with the towel. This prevents the bacteria from spreading and is also gentler on your skin.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. Follow a diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables and minimize foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates. Keep hydrated throughout the day, but do not over-do your liquid intake.
- Exercise regularly. Moderate and regular exercise can improve your circulation and immune systems that can result in a more ‘fresher’ looking appearance.
- Gently cleanse your skin. Choose a gentle, non-abrasive and alcohol-free cleanser and avoid the use of washcloths/sponges and scrubbing, as this may irritate your skin.
- Use a facial moisturizer daily. Moisturizers are most effective when applied to your skin while it is still slightly dam as this helps the skin absorb the product and trap in the water that provides an overall dewier appearance.
- Stop using skin care products that cause irritation. Using skin care products that leave your skin irritated, will in turn make your skin look and feel older.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Your body and skin work very hard every night to regenerate new skin cells, and lack of sleep can cause your skin to look unhealthy and dull.
- Minimize or avoid repetitive facial expressions. Every time you make a facial expression, your underlying facial muscles contract and repeated contraction of these underlying muscles over many years lead to permanent facial lines.
- You may experience rapid growth or changes in your body during puberty that may result in stretch marks. Begin to treat the relevant areas of your skin as soon as possible (see our guide on stretch marks).
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Day Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide and is packed with antioxidants and essential oils that help rejuvenate the skin and plump out wrinkles for a more youthful complexion.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Night Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide, Bidens Pilosa and high concentrations of genistein, vitamin A, B, C and E, essential fatty acids (EFAs), and lecithin which help to reinforce the skin’s surface so it takes on a younger, smoother replenished appearance.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Cannabis Sativa Anti-Aging Elixir if your skin is particularly sensitive and prone to irritations.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol 24k Rose Gold Anti-Aging Eye Serum for an expertly formulated eye serum that takes control of puffiness, dark circles, lines and wrinkles whilst lifting and tightening upper eyelid wrinkles and smoothing out subtler fine lines.
- Golden Oil® recommends Natural Dead Sea Facial Mud Mask with Collagen. The detoxifying formula includes a complex combination of the finest potent ingredients and infused with collagen to provide the skin with an added boost of essential protein which makes skin healthier and more elastic.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Stretch Mark Protection which is exclusively formulated to take control of stretching skin during puberty, pregnancy and rapid growth. Improves skin suppleness to minimize the appearance of stretch marks.
- Golden Oil® recommends Black Obsidian Roller and Gua Sha Spa Set. The sleek spa set contains a double-ended roller and a matching gua sha tool which are both crafted from 100% natural Black Obsidian. An Obsidian roller helps skin glow and reduces inflammation and puffiness, calms irritation, tightens pores, and helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Gua sha tools can help to reduce inflammation and puffiness by compression facial massage resulting in a glowing complexion and skin that is more sculpted and toned.
- Golden Oil® recommends Micro Needle Derma Roller. Micro needling is a simple, safe, effective, and minimally invasive therapeutic technique which allows Golden Oil® products to penetrate deeper and producing more powerful effects by creating tiny pathways in the skin.