About Bidens Pilosa
A Natural Alternative to Retinol (Bio Retinol)
What is Bidens Pilosa?
Bidens Pilosa is a plant-derived retinol alternative from a daisy-like plant grown in South America and is a very new natural bio-retinol ingredient to be incorporated into anti-aging skincare products.
How Does Bidens Pilosa Work?
Bidens Pilosa has astonishing antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and other properties that help to heal, calm and soothe the skin and tackle the signs of aging. It has an astonishing similar effect on skin as retinol and is referred to as the ‘natural retinol alternative’.
In a similar way to retinol, Bidens Pilosa stimulates skin cells to create various types of collagen whilst reducing collagen breakdown and melanin synthesis that are beneficial in skin health and anti-aging. In addition, Bidens Pilosa increases functional elastin and sirtuin-6 gene expression (which is linked to longevity) and does not leave your skin dry and irritated.
The results are as effective as retinol. A number of recent studies (1,2,3,4,5) have found Bidens Pilosa to be as effective on skin as retinol when treating the key characteristics associated with the natural aging process; hyper-pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles, but without the irritation associated with the use of retinol. These studies found improvements in fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, elasticity and skin firmness as well as it being effective in treating acne and boosting anti-acne properties.
In a nutshell, Bidens Pilosa has all the same benefits as Retinol and more, with much less risk of causing irritation.
What are the benefits of Bidens Pilosa?
Bidens Pilosa has a range of anti-aging and skincare benefits:
- Smooths skin texture, lessens the appearance of lines and wrinkles and adds plumpness. As with retinol, Bidens Pilosa activates the skin cells to produce collagen and reduces collagen breakdown to produce a fuller, plumper skin texture and reduces the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- Speeds up skin cell regeneration for fresher and firmer looking skin. As we age, the rate at which our skin cells regenerate (skin renewal cycle) begins to slow which can leave your skin looking and feeling duller. Bidens Pilosa stimulates the skin cells to boost collagen production and increase the rate at which your skin cells regenerate, leaving you with fresher and firmer looking skin.
- Does not cause dryness or irritation. Whereas retinol and some other skincare ingredients are known to cause dryness and skin irritations, Bidens Pilosa is far gentler on your skin and scientific research has not identified any side effects from its use on your face.
- Evens skin tone. Bidens Pilosa penetrates the skin deeply and helps in reducing the appearance of dark spots or hyper-pigmentation.
- Suitable for all skin types. Bidens Pilosa has amazing antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and other properties that make it suitable for all skin types. In particular, it is very suitable for sensitive and dry skin types.
- Helps sooth and heal skin. Bidens Pilosa helps to heal, calm and soothe the skin from inside out by boosting skin cell regeneration and skin cell turnover.
- Powerful antioxidant. Bidens Pilosa is a powerful antioxidant helping to combat the signs of aging by targeting free radicals and helping to firm up skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. It also helps to protect skin against environmental stressors and pollutants that can cause skin damage.
- Safe use during pregnancy. Bidens Pilosa is considered safe to use during pregnancy or breast feeding (whereas retinol is unsafe to use during pregnancy or breast feeding). However, you should always consult your medical practitioner before using any products during pregnancy or breastfeeding.
- Effective for treating acne. Bidens Pilosa has also been shown to be very effective in treating acne and boosting anti-acne properties.
- No known side effects. There are currently no known side effects associated with the use of Bidens Pilosa in any of the scientific studies.
- Bartolome, A. P., Villasenor, I. M., & Yang, W. C.(2013). Bidens pilosa L. (Asteraceae): Bidens pilosa L. (Asteraceae): Botanical properties, traditional uses, phytochemistry, and pharmacology. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. ECAM, 51 pages, Doi: 10.1155/2013/340215.
- Dieamant, Gustavo & Pereda, Maria & Nogueira, Cecília & Eberlin, Samara & Facchini, Gustavo & Checon, Juliana & Cesar, Camila & Mussi, Lilian & Polezel, Márcio & Martins-Oliveira, Divino & Di Stasi, Luiz. (2015). Antiageing Mechanisms of a Standardized Supercritical CO 2 Preparation of Black Jack ( Bidens pilosa L.) in Human Fibroblasts and Skin Fragments. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, ECAM, Doi:10.1155/2015/280529.
- Fan, H. H., Zhu, L. B., Li, T., Zhu, H., Wang, Y. N., Ren, X. L., Hu, B. L., Huang, C. P., Zhu, J. H., & Zhang, X. (2017). Hyperoside inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced inflammatory responses in microglial cells via p38 and NFκB pathways. International Immunopharmacology, Vol. 50, pp. 14–21, Doi: 10.1016/j.intimp.2017.06.004.
- Lawal, O. A., Amisu, K. O., Akinyemi, S. K., Sanni, S. A., Simelane, S. B. C., Mosa, R. A., & Opoku, A. R.(2015). In vitro antibacterial activity of aqueous extracts of Bidens pilosa L. (Asteraceae) from Nigeria. British Microbiology Research, 8, No. 4, pp. 525–531, Doi: 10.9734/BMRJ/2015/17900.
- Wenzel, Scott W. (Neenah, WI, US), Tyrrell, David J. (Milwaukee, WI, US), Grice, Alencia Vanay (Roswell, GA, US), Teat, Stephanie Vandeven (Roswell, GA, US), Seidling, Jeffery Richard (Neenah, WI, US), (2017). USE OF BIDENS EXTRACT TO REDUCE SIGNS OF SKIN AGING, United States, KIMBERLY-CLARK WORLDWIDE ,INC. (Neenah, WI, US), 20170042798.