About Nicotinamide (Niacinamide)
What is Nicotinamide?
Nicotinamide (also known as Niacinamide) is an active form of vitamin B3 and an essential and powerful ingredient for skin miniaturization, skin brightening and is remarkable due to its versatility for almost any skincare concern and skin type. Nicotinamide is a water-soluble vitamin that works alongside the natural elements in the skin to help visibly minimize enlarged pores, tighten skin, relax and soften fine lines and wrinkles, improve uneven skin tone, remove dullness and strengthen your skins surface.
How does Nicotinamide work?
Nicotinamide has been shown to improve fine lines and wrinkles, hyper-pigmented spots, red blotchiness and elasticity (1). Nicotinamide has also been shown to increase the skin’s production of ceramides (natural emollients and skin protectants) which help the skin to hydrate and lock in moisture (1, 2).
Nicotinamide helps restore cellular energy, reduces the immunosuppressive effects of sun-induced UV rays (3, 4) and preserves hydration and strengthens the skin barrier.
Nicotinamide has also been shown to be effective in treating acne, skin inflammation and boosting anti-acne properties (5). In short, the multiplicity of effects and formulation benefits seen with Nicotinamide make it an ideal choice for targeting skin of all age ranges. Nicotinamide and its various derivatives are set to play an important role in anti-aging therapy in human, especially in the facial anti-aging skin treatment (6, 7).
What are the Benefits of Nicotinamide in Skincare?
Nicotinamide has a range of anti-aging and skincare benefits:
- Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles. Nicotinamide helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Protects against sun damage. Nicotinamide has been shown to help to reduce some signs of sun damage as well as helping the skin to heal against existing damage.
- Nicotinamide has shown to help reduce dark spots on the skin through boosting the skin’s natural processes such as collagen production.
- Minimizes pore appearance. Nicotinamide helps to smooth out an tighten the skin and reduce the appearance of skin pores over time.
- Strengthens skin barrier. Nicotinamide can help the skin to grow a ceramide (lipid) barrier, which can help to retain and lock in moisture and boost the skin’s natural barrier.
- Protects against pollution and toxins. Nicotinamide helps to protect skin cells against the daily environmental stressors and helps in the regeneration skin cycle in building new skin cells.
- Nicotinamide has been shown to be helpful in treating acne.
- Regulates oil. Regardless of your skin type, Nicotinamide can help in regulating and balancing out the oil your glands produce.
- Nicotinamide helps to build keratin, which helps to keep the skin firm and healthy.
- Redness and blotchiness. Nicotinamide helps to reduce inflammation associated with some inflammatory skin conditions (e.g. acne, eczema).
Are There Any Side Effects from Using Nicotinamide in Skincare?
Nicotinamide displays distinct advantages over other ingredients with similar benefits, such as retinol and is well tolerated and is not subject to oxidation or photolysis.
- Bissett, D. L., Oblong, J. E., & Berge, C. A. (2005). Niacinamide: A B vitamin that Improves Aging Facial Skin Appearance. Dermatologic Surgery: Official Publication for American Society for Dermatologic Surgery [et al.], Vol. 31, No. 7 (Pt 2), pp. 860–865, Doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2005.31732.
- Bissett, D. L., Miyamoto, K., Sun, P., Li, J., & Berge, C. A. (2004). Topical Niacinamide Reduces Yellowing, Wrinkling, Red Blotchiness, and Hyperpigmented Spots in Aging Facial Skin. International journal of cosmetic science, Vol. 26, No. 5, pp. 231–238, Doi: 10.1111/j.1467-2494.2004.00228.x.
- Bikiaris, N. D., Michailidou, G., Lazaridou, M., Christodoulou, E., Gounari, E., Ofrydopoulou, A., Lambropoulou, D. A., Vergkizi-Nikolakaki, S., Lykidou, S., & Nikolaidis, N. (2020). Innovative Skin Product Emulsions with Enhanced Antioxidant, Antimicrobial and UV Protection Properties Containing Nanoparticles of Pure and Modified Chitosan with Encapsulated Fresh Pomegranate Juice. Polymers, V 12, No. 7, 1542, Doi: 10.3390/polym12071542.
- Searle, T., Ali, F. R., & Al-Niaimi, F. (2021). Systemic Photoprotection in 2021. Clinical and Experimental Dermatology, V 46, No. 7, 1189–1204, Doi: 10.1111/ced.14697.
- Draelos, Z. D., Matsubara, A., & Smiles, K. (2006). The Effect of 2% Niacinamide on Facial Sebum Production. Journal of Cosmetic and Laser Therapy: official publication of the European Society for Laser Dermatology, V 8, No. 2, pp. 96–101, Doi: 10.1080/14764170600717704.
- Sun, P., Qie, S., & Pan, B. (2021). Nicotinamide Riboside will Play an Important Role in Anti-aging Therapy in Humans, Especially in the Face Skin Anti-Aging Treatment. Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 10.1007/s00266-021-02335-y, Advance Online Publication, Doi:10.1007/s00266-021-02335-y.
- Boo YC. (2021). Mechanistic Basis and Clinical Evidence for the Applications of Nicotinamide (Niacinamide) to Control Skin Aging and Pigmentation. Antioxidants, 10, No. 8, pp. 1315, Doi: 10.3390/antiox10081315.