Preventing Premature Aging of the Skin
Anti-Aging Skin Care
There are many factors that contribute towards how our skin ages and understanding these factors and to what degree these can be controlled is important in developing an anti-aging skincare regime that helps you in maintaining healthy and nutritious skin over time.
Understanding Intrinsic and Extrinsic ageing
The medical term ‘intrinsic ageing’ is used to describe the natural aging process that we all go through as we age and plays a key role in the way our skin ages. Over time, our skin naturally changes and signs of aging become more visible. We begin to lose the youthful traits inherent in our skin as it becomes thinner, less elastic and drier. To a very large extent, these changes are controlled by our genes and we cannot change the natural aging process of intrinsic aging that occurs over time.
However, we can influence how ‘extrinsic aging’ affects our skin. Extrinsic aging is caused by the environment and our lifestyle choices that can result in premature aging of our skin. By taking safeguarding measures to protect our skin from the environment and sensible lifestyle choices, we can reduce and slow down the effects of extrinsic aging on our skin.
How to Prevent Premature Skin Aging
It is only natural to experience thinner, less elastic and drier skin with lines and wrinkles becoming more visible as we age (intrinsic aging). However, your environment and lifestyle choices (extrinsic aging) can play a major role in aging your skin prematurely. Dermatologists recommend the following simple tips to prevent premature skin aging:
- Protecting your skin from the sun. Many dermatologists argue this is the single most important action you can take in protecting your skin against premature aging. Apply a broad-spectrum, waterproof sunscreen (SPF 30 or higher) to your skin every day that is not covered or protected by clothing (not just during the summer months or when the sun is shining). Further protect you skin by wearing sun protective clothing (e.g. wide-brimmed hat, long sleeved shirts, pants and sun-UV protection sunglasses). Clothing with an ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) offers more effective and comprehensive protection against the damaging rays of the sun.
- Use self-tanning products. Whether you get a tan from the sun, tanning bed or any other form of tanning equipment; all of these emit harmful UV rays that accelerate the speed at which your skin ages and each and every time you get a tan this way, you are aging your skin prematurely.
- Stop smoking(if you smoke). Smoking is a major factor in premature skin aging and results in wrinkles and dullness of the skin.
- Minimize your alcohol intake. Alcohol dehydrates and damages the skin over time.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. Follow a diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables and minimize foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates. Keep hydrated throughout the day, but do not over-do your liquid intake.
- Exercise regularly. Moderate and regular exercise can improve your circulation and immune systems that can result in a more ‘fresher’ and youthful looking appearance.
- Wash your skin twice a day and after exercising and sweating heavily. Avoid the temptation to wash often and limit yourself to washing your face once in the morning and once at night. Wash your face and skin as soon as possible after sweating as sweat irritates the skin.
- Gently cleanse your skin. Choose a gentle, non-abrasive and alcohol-free cleanser and avoid the use of washcloths/sponges and scrubbing, as this may irritate your skin.
- Use a facial moisturizer daily. Moisturizers are most effective when applied to your skin while it is still slightly dam as this helps the skin absorb the product and trap in the water that provides an overall more youthful appearance.
- Stop using skin care products that cause irritation. Using skin care products that leave your skin irritated, will in turn make your skin look and feel older. If you are using products prescribed by your dermatologist that sting or burn you, this may be quite normal, but inform your dermatologist and follow their advice.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Your body and skin work very hard every night to regenerate new skin cells, and lack of sleep can cause your skin to look unhealthy and dull.
- Minimize or avoid repetitive facial expressions. Every time you make a facial expression, your underlying facial muscles contract and repeated contraction of these underlying muscles over many years lead to permanent facial lines.
- It is never too late. It does not matter what age you are or to what degree you may have signs of premature skin aging, your skin can still benefit from these lifestyle changes. For example, even if you have been exposing your skin to the sun for many years, your skin will still benefit from reducing such exposure and giving it time to heal a little and protect it from further damage.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Day Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide and is packed with antioxidants and essential oils that help rejuvenate the skin and plump out wrinkles for a more youthful complexion.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Night Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide, Bidens Pilosa and high concentrations of genistein, vitamin A, B, C and E, essential fatty acids (EFAs), and lecithin which help to reinforce the skin’s surface so it takes on a younger, smoother replenished appearance.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Cannabis Sativa Anti-Aging Elixir if your skin is particularly sensitive and prone to irritations.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol 24k Rose Gold Anti-Aging Eye Serum for an expertly formulated eye serum that takes control of puffiness, dark circles, lines and wrinkles whilst lifting and tightening upper eyelid wrinkles and smoothing out subtler fine lines.
- Golden Oil® recommends Natural Dead Sea Facial Mud Mask with Collagen. The detoxifying formula includes a complex combination of the finest potent ingredients and infused with collagen to provide the skin with an added boost of essential protein which makes skin healthier and more elastic.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Stretch Mark Protection which is exclusively formulated to take control of stretching skin during puberty, pregnancy and rapid growth. Improves skin suppleness to minimize the appearance of stretch marks.
- Golden Oil® recommends Black Obsidian Roller and Gua Sha Spa Set. The sleek spa set contains a double-ended roller and a matching gua sha tool which are both crafted from 100% natural Black Obsidian. An Obsidian roller helps skin glow and reduces inflammation and puffiness, calms irritation, tightens pores, and helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Gua sha tools can help to reduce inflammation and puffiness by compression facial massage resulting in a glowing complexion and skin that is more sculpted and toned.
- Golden Oil® recommends Micro Needle Derma Roller. Micro needling is a simple, safe, effective, and minimally invasive therapeutic technique which allows Golden Oil® products to penetrate deeper and producing more powerful effects by creating tiny pathways in the skin.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Anti-Aging Elixir Pour Homme. A multipurpose facial, neck and beard massage oil that helps you rediscover healthier, younger looking skin and support optimal beard shine. The new breakthrough formula includes Bakuchiol and is quickly absorbed into the skin. Packed with the essential vitamins A, C, E and Beta-Carotene, along with Essential Fatty Acids Omega 3, 6 and 9.