In Your 60’s and over
Look to the future
We are living longer and healthier lives and women in this age range are living and enjoying lifestyles not too dissimilar to women many decades their junior. This is noticeable through the increasing number of skincare products targeted at this age group.
Dermatologists recommend following these key anti-aging skincare tips in your 60’s and over:
- Keep it simple. Many women at this age range have a good understanding of their skin and skincare needs and often strip back their routine to the basics that work well for them. For others, spending more time and looking into new ways to care for the skin is the way to go. Whichever approach you follow will be determined by your overall lifestyle, your time and how you feel about your skincare routine. What works for you and what you are comfortable is the way forward for you.
- Be gentle. As you skin becomes thinner, dryer, more sensitive and more susceptible to damage and harm, you need to reduce skincare elements such as exfoliating in favor of more gentler skin calming routines.
- Wash less. You are washing only twice a day and you may be asking yourself how much further can you reduce this? Try gently rinsing with warm water in the morning rather than fully cleansing and if you feel you need it, do a full morning cleansing routine once or twice a week only.
- Use a quality moisturizer. As the natural aging process begins to set in, some of your skin’s characteristics begin to diminish. Your skin’s barrier function also begins to suffer and becomes easier for your skin to lose moisture. Use a thicker occlusive moisturizer to help hydrate and trap moisture into your skin.
- Continue to use sunscreen. Harmful UV rays do not discriminate by age by only targeting younger individuals. You are vulnerable to harmful rays at this age just as much at any other age. To protect your skin from harmful rays, consider a moisturizer that incorporates a mineral based sunscreen (SPF 30 or over). Whether you get a tan from the sun, tanning bed or any other form of tanning equipment. All of these emit harmful UV rays that accelerate the speed at which your skin ages and each and every time you get a tan this way, you are aging your skin prematurely.
Areas you should already be incorporating in your 60’s and over:
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking is a major factor in premature skin aging and results in wrinkles and dullness of the skin.
- Minimize/manage your alcohol intake. Alcohol dehydrates and damages the skin over time.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. Follow a diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables and minimize foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates. Keep hydrated throughout the day, but do not over-do your liquid intake.
- Exercise regularly. Moderate and regular exercise can improve your circulation and immune systems that can result in a more ‘fresher’ and youthful looking appearance.
- Wash after exercising and sweating heavily. Wash your face and skin as soon as possible after sweating as sweat irritates the skin.
- Gently cleanse your skin. Choose a gentle, non-abrasive and alcohol-free cleanser and avoid the use of washcloths/sponges and scrubbing, as this may irritate your skin.
- Use a facial moisturizer daily. Moisturizers are most effective when applied to your skin while it is still slightly dam as this helps the skin absorb the product and trap in the water that provides an overall dewier appearance.
- Stop using skin care products that cause irritation. Using skin care products that leave your skin irritated, which in turn will make your skin look and feel older.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Your body and skin work very hard every night to regenerate new skin cells, and lack of sleep can cause your skin to look unhealthy and dull.
- Minimize or avoid repetitive facial expressions. Every time you make a facial expression, your underlying facial muscles contract and repeated contraction of these underlying muscles over many years lead to permanent facial lines.
- Incorporate serums/oils. Serums contain a significant proportion of the active ingredients you will applying to your face and are specifically formulated to penetrate deeper into the layers of your skin. At this age range, a good multitasking serum that calms, plumps, hydrates and balances out your skin. Although you will be applying serum to your face in the morning and at night, you will need a daytime and night time formulation. A daytime formulation will include antioxidants that protect your skin form harmful environmental factor, whereas as a night time formulation will include anti-aging and skin repair ingredients. You can use a serum and facial oil as part of your daily morning routine. However, if you choose not to use a serum, you can use facial oil instead. You may also use a serum in the morning and a facial oil at night. These decisions and product choices will very much depend on your specific skincare needs and your overall daily skincare routine.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Day Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide and is packed with antioxidants and essential oils that help rejuvenate the skin and plump out wrinkles for a more youthful complexion.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Night Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide, Bidens Pilosa and high concentrations of genistein, vitamin A, B, C and E, essential fatty acids (EFAs), and lecithin which help to reinforce the skin’s surface so it takes on a younger, smoother replenished appearance.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Cannabis Sativa Anti-Aging Elixir if your skin is particularly sensitive and prone to irritations.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol 24k Rose Gold Anti-Aging Eye Serum for an expertly formulated eye serum that takes control of puffiness, dark circles, lines and wrinkles whilst lifting and tightening upper eyelid wrinkles and smoothing out subtler fine lines.
- Golden Oil® recommends Natural Dead Sea Facial Mud Mask with Collagen. The detoxifying formula includes a complex combination of the finest potent ingredients and infused with collagen to provide the skin with an added boost of essential protein which makes skin healthier and more elastic.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Stretch Mark Protection which is exclusively formulated to take control of stretching skin during puberty, pregnancy and rapid growth. Improves skin suppleness to minimize the appearance of stretch marks.
- Golden Oil® recommends Black Obsidian Roller and Gua Sha Spa Set. The sleek spa set contains a double-ended roller and a matching gua sha tool which are both crafted from 100% natural Black Obsidian. An Obsidian roller helps skin glow and reduces inflammation and puffiness, calms irritation, tightens pores, and helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Gua sha tools can help to reduce inflammation and puffiness by compression facial massage resulting in a glowing complexion and skin that is more sculpted and toned.
- Golden Oil® recommends Micro Needle Derma Roller. Micro needling is a simple, safe, effective, and minimally invasive therapeutic technique which allows Golden Oil® products to penetrate deeper and producing more powerful effects by creating tiny pathways in the skin.