In Your 50’s
For many, this is the ideal age where they feel settled, comfortable and confident in their skin. Nevertheless, major challenges presented by menopause and other changes in your body means you may need to adapt your skincare routine. This is also an age bracket where many women begin to notice a more prominent decline in collagen and tightness of their skin due to hormonal changes.
Dermatologists recommend following these key anti-aging skincare tips in your 50’s:
- Back to basics. This may be the time period where your body and skin go through the most radical change in decades and now is a good time to revisit those basic skincare principles. Look at your entire skincare routine, the products and ingredients you use, the order in which you apply them and how your skincare products and ingredients meet with your changing skincare needs.
- Regular exercise. Inflammation in your body breaks down collagen and skin elasticity. Sensible and regular exercise can help to promote wellness and reduce inflammation in your body. Improved blood circulation and cardio vascular for example will improve your blood circulation which in turn will help in removing toxins from your body and promote collagen production. Even if you have not previously exercised regularly, this is a good time to start as exercise has shown to help to reverse skin aging for individuals who start exercising later in life resulting in a more ‘fresher’ and youthful looking appearance.
- Protect and promote your collagen. Antioxidants are key to providing protection for your skin against harmful elements as well as protecting and stimulating the production of collagen. Antioxidants are infused into a wide range of skincare products and you will have no problems in finding products that fit into your skincare routine.
- Treat your eyes. Dark circles, under-eyes puffiness and crow’s feet can become more prominent during this age range and paying close attention to your skincare around your eyes can help to minimize theses. The skin surrounding your eyes is a delicate area and care should be taken in applying any creams/serum to this area. Dermatologists recommend using the ring finger to gentle pat and rub on in a circular motion.
Areas you should already be incorporating in your 50’s:
- Use sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful rays. Consider a moisturizer that incorporates a mineral based sunscreen (SPF 30 or over). Whether you get a tan from the sun, tanning bed or any other form of tanning equipment. All of these emit harmful UV rays that accelerate the speed at which your skin ages and each and every time you get a tan this way, you are aging your skin prematurely. Consider using self-tanning products.
- Wash your skin twice a day and after exercising and sweating heavily. Avoid the temptation to wash often and limit yourself to washing your face once in the morning and once at night. Wash your face and skin as soon as possible after sweating as sweat irritates the skin.
- If you smoke, stop. Smoking is a major factor in premature skin aging and results in wrinkles and dullness of the skin.
- Minimize/manage your alcohol intake. Alcohol dehydrates and damages the skin over time.
- Eat a healthy and well-balanced diet. Follow a diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables and minimize foods high in sugar and refined carbohydrates. Keep hydrated throughout the day, but do not over-do your liquid intake.
- Gently cleanse your skin. Choose a gentle, non-abrasive and alcohol-free cleanser and avoid the use of washcloths/sponges and scrubbing, as this may irritate your skin.
- Use a facial moisturizer daily. Moisturizers are most effective when applied to your skin while it is still slightly dam as this helps the skin absorb the product and trap in the water that provides an overall dewier appearance.
- Stop using skin care products that cause irritation. Using skin care products that leave your skin irritated, which in turn will make your skin look and feel older.
- Get a good night’s sleep. Your body and skin work very hard every night to regenerate new skin cells, and lack of sleep can cause your skin to look unhealthy and dull.
- Minimize or avoid repetitive facial expressions. Every time you make a facial expression, your underlying facial muscles contract and repeated contraction of these underlying muscles over many years lead to permanent facial lines.
- Incorporate serums/oils. Serums contain a significant proportion of the active ingredients you will applying to your face and are specifically formulated to penetrate deeper into the layers of your skin. At this age range, a good multitasking serum that calms, plumps, hydrates and balances out your skin. Although you will be applying serum to your face in the morning and at night, you will need a daytime and night time formulation. A daytime formulation will include antioxidants that protect your skin form harmful environmental factor, whereas as a night time formulation will include anti-aging and skin repair ingredients. You can use a serum and facial oil as part of your daily morning routine. However, if you choose not to use a serum, you can use facial oil instead. You may also use a serum in the morning and a facial oil at night. These decisions and product choices will very much depend on your specific skincare needs and your overall daily skincare routine.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Day Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide and is packed with antioxidants and essential oils that help rejuvenate the skin and plump out wrinkles for a more youthful complexion.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Night Time Anti-Aging Elixir which combines Bakuchiol, Nicotinamide, Bidens Pilosa and high concentrations of genistein, vitamin A, B, C and E, essential fatty acids (EFAs), and lecithin which help to reinforce the skin’s surface so it takes on a younger, smoother replenished appearance.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Cannabis Sativa Anti-Aging Elixir if your skin is particularly sensitive and prone to irritations.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol 24k Rose Gold Anti-Aging Eye Serum for an expertly formulated eye serum that takes control of puffiness, dark circles, lines and wrinkles whilst lifting and tightening upper eyelid wrinkles and smoothing out subtler fine lines.
- Golden Oil® recommends Natural Dead Sea Facial Mud Mask with Collagen. The detoxifying formula includes a complex combination of the finest potent ingredients and infused with collagen to provide the skin with an added boost of essential protein which makes skin healthier and more elastic.
- Golden Oil® recommends Bio Retinol Stretch Mark Protection which is exclusively formulated to take control of stretching skin during puberty, pregnancy and rapid growth. Improves skin suppleness to minimize the appearance of stretch marks.
- Golden Oil® recommends Black Obsidian Roller and Gua Sha Spa Set. The sleek spa set contains a double-ended roller and a matching gua sha tool which are both crafted from 100% natural Black Obsidian. An Obsidian roller helps skin glow and reduces inflammation and puffiness, calms irritation, tightens pores, and helps to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. Gua sha tools can help to reduce inflammation and puffiness by compression facial massage resulting in a glowing complexion and skin that is more sculpted and toned.
- Golden Oil® recommends Micro Needle Derma Roller. Micro needling is a simple, safe, effective, and minimally invasive therapeutic technique which allows Golden Oil® products to penetrate deeper and producing more powerful effects by creating tiny pathways in the skin.