How to Patch Test a Skincare or Cosmetics Product
Golden Oil® is committed to using the best natural ingredients that are free from any toxic chemicals and artificial elements. We place an absolute emphasis on formulating our range of skincare products to help you maintain and improve the health of your skin and your wellness in the most natural and effective manner possible. Even with the purest of natural ingredients, people can show signs of reactions and allergies and therefore it is essential that you always undertake a patch test before using a new skincare product.
What is a Patch Test?
A patch test is an important and easy way of checking to see how your skin reacts to a particular skincare product.
Why you need to Patch Test?
You need to undertake a patch test to check how your skin reacts to a particular product and to avoid any serious reaction from using the skincare product over a larger surface area of your skin. Undertaking a patch test first allows you to use it safely on the rest of your skin.
How to Patch Test a Product on your Skin?
A patch test needs to be undertaken over a 24-hour period. Follow these steps:
- Select a patch of skin to test. Choose an accessible and clear patch of the skin where you can comfortably leave the product on for a 24-hour period (for example, the side of the neck). To undertake a more comprehensive test and to test against any potential slow/delayed reactions, you should test over a 4-day period.
- Wash and clean the patch of skin to ensure it is free from any product and dirt.
- Apply a small amount of the product to the patch of skin.
- Leave for 24 hours. However, if you begin to experience a reaction such as pain, burning, itching; remove immediately and wash with water.
What to Look for After 24 Hours?
- If you do not experience any effects after 24 hours, it should be safe to apply (consider undertaking a patch test over a 4-day period to test against any potential slow/delayed reactions.
- If you experience any kind of reaction, do not use the product.